Location: 1200 Jackson Street (on hill), Castroville.
Photos by Renee Smelley
St Louis Cemetery (A-E), (F-J),
Historical Marker: This cemetery has served the Parish of St. Louis Catholic Church since the founding of Castroville in 1844. The original burial ground is outlined by the stone wall, which was built in 1860. The earliest marked grave is that of Katharina Haldy (d. 1849), who had migrated to Texas two years earlier. Also buried here is Amelia Castro (d. 1871), the wife of Henry Castro, who founded the town. The marble and granite altar was dedicated in 1951. An annual prayer service and Mass is conducted here each November 2, in honor of All Souls' Day. 1980