OLD WHITEFLAT CEMETERY

Motley Co, Cemeteries of Texas

Flomot, Texas

April 18, 2002

Submitted by Ruth Lee

 

Location is 8 miles north of Matador on Texas 70. Turn west and on  FM # 2009  for 1 mile . Continue  west on  Co. Rd. 124.Continue west  to the pasture gate and turn south west  and go past the fuel tanks. The cemetery is  inside the pasture   fence and  part  outside.. To go inside the gate and drive down the road inside the pasture call a member of the Horner Lake Association and they will meet you at the locked gate.

 History

This was the Echols Ranch and later called the Frank Irwing Ranch.  Itís owned by the D. M. Cogdell   Estate . and  known now as the Horner Lake Association. In the 1960s this cemetery was neat and had as many as 10 to 12 graves.  The stones have been covered with weeds and grass and dirt has blown in.  In an article written by Louise  Harper  in the Plainview Daily Herald in July 2001 she states the former ranch foremanís wife said at one time there were 21 graves.

 

Also on a hill northwest of the lake is a grave marked with rocks  in the shape of a big cross.  There is no known history. It was presumable here before the Echols  settled  on  the land.

Garus

Ida

Feb 21, 1894

Oct 12, 1897

Dau. Of Ella White

Kimbell

B.D.

Feb 28, 1809

Jan 18, 1894

Stone was moved to Whiteflat Cem .Grandfather of Guy Kimbell

Martin

No dates  

 

No names

Children of I.V. Martin

Meador      

Ella Grace

1869

June 8, 1894

Wife of Bob Grandmother of W.K. & R.A. Birchfield No stone  

Meador

 Infant

June 8, 1894

June 8, 1894

Buried with Ella. This grave is inside the pasture.

Powers

J.C.

Aug 17, 1817

Sept 24,1896

Minister of Gospel

Smith

Infant

No dates

 

Bill Smithís child

White

Girl

No dates

Age 10 or 12

No stone