Cemeteries of TX
From Comanche, take SH16 south about 10 miles, then go about .4 miles east on FM 1476.
||Historical Marker :
Pioneer settlers of this area of Comanche County arrived
in the mid-1850s and established a town named for the nearby
South Leon River. P.W. Brewer set aside land for a cemetery and church in 1872. Although earlier unmarked burials exist here, the
oldest documented grave is that of Rosie E. McCurdy, who died in 1875.
After the town name was changed to Newburg in the 1880s, the cemetery also was renamed. Local pioneers and veterans of conflicts dating back to
the Mexican War are buried here. A cemetery association maintains the
historic graveyard. (1994)