Fort Chadbourne Town and Cemetery
Submitted by Pat Hudgins
This information came from the "Cook County Cemeteries Epitaphs and Dates" book, was compiled and printed in 1990 by Bonita Copeland and Wanda Smith and used with permission
Fort Chadbourne town began as a community of local people when Governor J. S. Hogg preempted land to be used as the first Post Office.
The town began to build about 1900-05, when news of the railroad passing through one mile east of the town. Immediately everything began moving to an area where Mr. W. C. McDonald, early pioneer, gave eighty acres of land for the original townsite of Fort Chadbourne.
In 1913, Fort Chadbourne proper had a railroad depot, schoolhouse, hotel, livery stable, general store, blacksmith shop, post office, telephone office, newspaper and a Methodist Church. It was a busy place for there was lots of traffic on the railroad.
After Fort Chadbounre town was established, very few people used the cemetery site. It is located about one mile south of the depot on private property.
Bramlett, Ida J. 1862 1947
Culp, Charlene 1934 1936 - Daughter of Wm. and Hattie Culp
Culp, Roxie A. March 7, 1880 October 9, 1975
Culp, W. J. April 10, 1866 October 18, 1955
Hutchinson, L.A. April 4, 1915 April 4, 1915
Taylor, Infant 1951 1951 Son of J.L. Taylor
Taylor, Andrew J. 1883 1971
Taylor, Adeline May 3, 1855 December 3, 1911
Taylor, Buck H. 1856 1939
Taylor, John W. April 21, 1890 May 31, 1964 -TX. - PVT Co.158 Inf. WWI
Taylor, Mandy 1895 NDD
Taylor, Nish J. 1888 1966
Taylor, Vivian V. 1895 1981
Turner, Henley Etter February 15, 1864 December 7, 1923 - Wife of R.H. Turner
Turner, Robert Vernon March 11, 1897 June 25, 1918 – Son of R.H. & H. E. Turner