Winnsboro Lee Cemetery
Winnsboro, Wood Co. Cemeteries of TX
Contributed by Patricia Nall, August 2001
From intersection of FM515 and TX37, turn south. Travel one mile. Cemetery on east side of TX37.
North Carolina natives Benjamin Lee, his wife Alice, and their family came to this area about 1853 and soon acquired over 1,230 acres of land. The Lees operated a large cotton plantation with the help of their ten children and slave labor. Benjamin Lee became a community leader and was elected County Commissioner one year after his arrival in the area.
Currently covering over 13 acres, this cemetery began as a small family burial ground in 1856 upon the death of Benjamin Lee. Alice Lee was the second person to be buried here, and their graves are included in the Lee family plot in the oldest section, surrounded by an iron fence. The graves of the four Lee sons, all of whom served in the Confederate Army, are also in the family plot.
Although established as a family graveyard, the Lee Cemetery was expanded to include graves of neighbors and gradually became a public community cemetery. Many types of stones and grave markers can be seen here including one above ground brick vault burial. Members of the community interred here include banker Charles H. Morris, Mayor and State Legislator William D. Suitor, Dr. John B. Goldsmith and newspaper publishers Homer R. and Mae O. Weir.
East Gate West Gate
|Last Name||First Name||Birth||Death||Comments|
|Martin||William Maurice||Jul 3 1914||Dec 26 1936||s/o R.A. & Reba|
|McLeroy||F. J.||1845||1922||w: Mariah J.|
|McLeroy||Mariah J.||1850||1933||In God We Trust|
|McConnell||Robert Drew||1875||1956||w: Laura Alica|
|McConnell||Laura Alica||1886||1971||w/o Robert C.|
|Nall||James H.||Sep 26 1861||Jan 5 1913||W: Mattie Nall A loving husband a father dear a faithful friend lies buried here WOW marker|