Church and Cemetery
Wood County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
5.4 miles west of Winnsboro on CR 4870
The Hopewell Primitive Baptist Church was established in 1855 and met in a brush arbor and log house. As membership increased, a larger church building was erected. In 1876 John R. Moore donated three acres of land for church and cemetery purposes. The first recorded burial was that of Henry Nixon in 1879. State Representative George Turner Hinson is also buried here, as are veterans of several wars. A new church was erected in 1947 and a fellowship hall was added in 1977. The church and cemetery continue to serve the community as they have for more than a century. (1997)