Grove School & Cemetery
Wood County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
6.4 miles west of Winnsboro on CR 4988
Land for a community school and cemetery was donated by Henry and Mary Robinson in the 1870s. A one-room log schoolhouse was replaced by several larger buildings as population in the area grew. Professor D. Speer, a teacher at the school, named the community and the school Pleasant Grove in the 1880s. The school was consolidated in 1956 with the Winnsboro School District. Located behind the schoolhouse, the cemetery dates to 1879 with the oldest recorded burial, that of Henry A. Brummett. Still active, the site is maintained by a cemetery association. (1997)