Cemetery and Villages
Wood County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
5 miles NE of Quitman on SH 37 to CR 1416, near east end of Lake Quitman
Found during road-building operations and reported Nov. 1966. In Jan. 1967, eight graves were studied, but the bone fragments unearthed were so old that they crumbled upon exposure to air. Pieces of pottery were also found in the cemetery and in six villages in the vicinity. Grindstones, a jar with red paint, water jugs, and skinning stones suggest that the area may have been inhabited about 1200 to 1500 A.D., and possibly at an earlier time, by the Caddo Indians, an agricultural people with a highly advanced culture. Other cemeteries exist nearby. (1968)