Clover Hill Cemetery

Quitman, Wood County, Texas

Cemeteries of Texas Coordinator:  Brenda E. Wiggins

 Information provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site

Location:  FM 69, 5 miles north of Quitman



Families from Georgia and Alabama settled this land in 1856. The next year they chose this hill which was covered with yellow clover for construction of the Clover Hill Baptist Church. In 1868 "Little Buddy," son of G. H. and Sallie Pogue, was the first burial in this community cemetery. Soon a stranger died of smallpox and was interred here. The oldest marked gravestone is that of Martha Benton (1840-1862). She was buried, according to custom, near her home and later the family moved the headstone here. In 1926 the cemetery association was organized. (1979)