Decatur, Wise County, Texas
Cemeteries of Texas Coordinator:
Brenda E. Wiggins
Information provided by the State of
Texas Atlas Site
From Decatur, take FM 730 3 miles
north, turn west onto CR 2360, about 1 mile to marker.
Georgia native the Reverend Henry
Fullingim, his wife Martha, and their 17 children came to northeast Texas in
1849. Henry Fullingim served the area as a circuit-riding Methodist minister.
Their son, Archibald, and their son-in-law, John Hale, came to Wise County in
1853 and were among the area's first settlers. Hale became the first Wise County
sheriff in 1856. This cemetery is named for John T. and Sarah Waggoner, on whose
land it was established. Martha Fullingim's burial in 1868 is the first recorded
here. The Waggoner's deeded the property to Wise County in 1885.