Wise County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
1.5 miles south of Decatur on FM 51, then 3 miles west on Preskitt Rd.
land around this site was deeded to the trustees of the Lee School Community,
one of whom was M. W. Preskitt, in April 1885. In August of the following year,
the Lee School trustees deeded half that parcel to County Judge W. W. Brady for
a burial ground. The earliest marked grave in the cemetery is that of infant
Pearl Hobbs, who was born and died in June 1890. The families buried in the
cemetery are among the first farm owners and families living in the community in
the 1870s and 1880s. Early school trustee James W. Haynes, a Union Army veteran,
is interred here, as are many other military veterans. The cemetery was once
associated with a Baptist Church, which was torn down about 1930. At the dawn of
the 21st century there were 172 known graves, 27 unmarked, on the property.
(2000) Text of supplemental plate: Pioneer families represented in the Preskitt
Cemetery include Bramlett, Burns, Haynes, Hilton, Little, Pound, Reeves, Taylor