Wise County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
Chico, take SH 101 about 3.5 miles north, turn west onto CR 1667 about 1 mile,
turn onto CR 1661 about 1 mile, turn south onto CR 1771; drive south on CR 1771,
turn right over cattle guard and continue on unpaved road to cemetery.
first burial at this site occurred in the early 1870s. Area settlers H. H.
Bradford, B. P. Cox, J. C. Cartwright, and J. C. Weaver, donated the property
for the interment of a young girl who had died on a wagon train. The earliest
marked grave is that of Maria B. Smith (1805-1875). During the 1890s, a
sanctuary was built north of the burial ground for a Methodist Episcopal Church.
As declining soil conditions caused families to move from the area, the
congregation became inactive. The chapel was removed by 1914, but the Olive
Branch Cemetery remains