Mount Cemetery and School
Wise County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
Bridgeport, take FM 2123 about 4 miles south, turn west onto CR 3510 (road will
turn south, west, then north again); continue north onto unnumbered road to
community was named for the lookout point used by Indians and settlers in the
19th century. From his land near the landmark mound, W. C. Ellis designated
(1876) acreage for public use, and the cemetery had been opened by 1880. Van
Dearing Perrine (1869-1955), later a noted artist, lived here about 1880. His
mother's unmarked grave is in this cemetery. On March 15, 1887, W. C. Ellis and
T. J. Wise deeded 3 acres for the school, in which enrollment would rise at
times to nearly 100 pupils in eight grades taught by one teacher. In 1930 the
school was consolidated with Bridgeport.