New Bern Church, School and
Taylor, Williamson County,
Cemeteries of Texas
Coordinator: Brenda E. Wiggins
Information provided by the
State of Texas Atlas Site
Approximately 5 miles
northeast of Taylor on FM 619, then 4.5 miles east on CR 414, Taylor vicinity.
Swiss and German immigrants
who settled here in the early 1890s named their settlement for Bern,
Switzerland. In 1892 the newly organized St. John Lutheran Church built a
sanctuary which also housed the New Bern School here on 2.5 acres donated by
Daniel Murphy. The New Bern Cemetery (0.1 mi.E of this site) was established in
1895 on 3 acres acquired from Friedrich and Anna Stauffer. Though a new church
building (1912) and schoolhouse (1920) were moved to the nearby community of
Wuthrich Hill in 1949 the cemetery continues to serve the community.