Hill, Williamson County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
SH 29, 2 miles W of Liberty Hill.
gravestones show usage of this spot for burials since 1852, when the earliest
settlers were establishing homes in area. The first formal grant of land here as
a community burial ground was made by John T. and Amelia Edwards Bryson in 1875,
when three and one-half acres were deeded to the Liberty Hill cemetery trustees:
T. N. Bryson, C. C. Chance, W. H. Poole, J. B. Roddy, and T. S. Snyder. This
acreage was protected by a stone fence built with their own hands by the Brysons
and their neighbors. Additions to original plot include land formerly owned by
John T. Bryson and donated by Dr. and Mrs. H. L. Fowler. Royal Arch Masons in
1932 established an adjacent three-acre Masonic cemetery, later transferring
title to the Liberty Hill Lodge No. 432, A.F. & A.M., which gave it in 1959
to the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association. By later land purchases, the cemetery
now contains more than twenty acres. Funds have come by bequests from Walter
Gardner, Arthur Gray, and T. L. McDaniel. Many other persons have also
contributed to funds for the cemetery. In 1953 the Liberty Hill Cemetery
Association was incorporated, with Dr. J. Gordon Bryson as president; C. L.
Chance, vice president; C. F. Hickman, treasurer; and Mrs. Letitia Russell,