Rock, Williamson County, Texas
of Texas Coordinator: Brenda E.
provided by the State of Texas Atlas Site
IH-35 frontage road at Bowman Rd.
Jacob M. and Mary McCutcheon Harrell came to Texas from Tennessee with Robertson's Nashville colony in 1833. Jacob's brother and sister-in-law James G. and Catherine Harrell and other family members soon followed. Both brothers served in the Texas Army. In 1838 the Harrell families were among the first to settle in the area later called Waterloo (Austin); Jacob Harrell sold his homestead to state agents for the site of the State Capitol. The Harrells owned two Austin businesses and served the city in several civic and political capacities. Jacob was elected mayor of Austin in 1847. He and his family moved to his headright around this site in 1848. The Harrells were among the first to serve in the new Williamson County government after its formation. In addition to two marked graves believed to be those of James G. and Catherine Harrell, several other family members and one of Jacob and Mary's slaves are believed to have been interred on this site. (1999)