WILSON FAMILY CEMETERY
Tarrant Co, Cemeteries
This is a small reconstructed cemetery located about five miles
east of Mansfield on Lynn road (County Road 2012). Charles N. and Ophelia
(West) Wilson lived on this property when she died in 1872. This part of the Wilson
land was known as the Polo Ranch. It is now owned by the U. S. Army Corps of
Engineers and is part of the Joe Pool Lake project.
Ophelia Wilson was buried here with her infant daughter, and the
graves were marked with oak saplings. In the 1930s, another Wilson daughter returned
to the site and placed two headstones and a wrought iron fence. The small graveyard
was vandalized in 1980 and the markers and fence removed. The Corps of Engineers
located the stolen Wilson markers, placed a marker for the Bowlin infant and replaced the
wrought iron fence. The site was designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in
1986. The marker carries the inscription:
This pioneer cemetery dates to 1872, when Charles N. Wilson buried his wife and
infant child here. Ophelia E. West Wilson (1853 - 1972) and her newborn
daughter died as a result of complications during childbirth. The third grave
in the cemetery, that of the Bowlin infant, is unmarked. James W. and Mattie C.
Bowlin buried their son here, since a public graveyard was not readily
accessible to their home. The Wilson Cemetery contains only these three graves,
but it is an important reminder of the ways of life in 19th Century Tarrant
County. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986.
Note that there is an error in the inscription.
The grave of the Bowlin infant
is now marked. Published by the Mansfield Historical Society, 1986. Used by
WILSON, Ophelia & Child, 1853 - 1872
BOWLIN Male, No Dates, son of James W. & Mattie (Curry) Bowlin