Fort Ringgold Post Cemetery
Starr Co. TX
The Ringgold Barracks Post Cemetery had fifty US
colored troops who died there in 1865. Before 1874, these bodies were removed
from Fort Ringgold to the Brownsville National Cemetery. In 1911, a total of 146
bodies (16 unknown) were moved to the Alexandria (Louisiana) National Cemetery.
Bivouac of the Dead by Mark Hughes.
And in 1947, the remains of the abandoned Fort Ringgold Post Cemetery were reinterred at the San Antonio National Cemetery. The name was in honor of Bvt. Maj. Samuel Ringgold, the first United States Army officer to die from wounds received in the battle of Palo Alto (May 8, 1846); he died on May 11. Handbook of Texas online.