Old Cemetery on the Hill
San Patricio, San Patricio County,
Cemeteries of Texas Coordinator:
Brenda E. Wiggins
Information provided by the State of
Texas Atlas Site
Old Courthouse grounds, FM 666, San Patricio.
This cemetery is believed to have
been used for generations by indian tribes and Mexican settlers who lived in
this area previous to anglo colonization. Following the establishment of San
Patricio de Hibernia in 1830 by empresarios John McMullen and James McGloin, the
colonists continued to use the old cemetery on the hill. According to local oral
tradition, early graves in the cemetery were marked by wooden crosses and stones
bearing spanish and english inscriptions. Among those interred here are Lt.
Marcelino Garcia, who as killed at the battle of Lipantitlan in 1835. Also
buried here are soldiers who died in the battle of San Patricio on February 27,
1836; James McGloin, whose grave was never marked; victims of diseases such as
scarlet fever; men killed fighting duels; and many early settlers and their
descendants. After a new cemetery was consecrated at San Patricio by father
Antoine Maury in 1872, the old cemetery on the hill was used infrequently. The
old cemetery was neglected for many years until restoration efforts were begun
in the 1960's. Some tombstones were destroyed or lost over the years, but the
historic graveyard is now maintained.