Rains Co. Leader Submitted by Elaine Nall Bay

March 30, 1923
W.R. McCord Killed by J.F. Holt
W.R. McCord, better known as "Billie" McCord, was shot and killed by J.F. Holt about 8 o'clock Saturday morning, an automatic pistol being the weapon used. Three shot were fired, two of which took effect in the left side and passed out at the right side. Mr. McCord fell on his face and was dead in a minute or two. The tragedy occurred in front of the yard where Holt lived on McCord's farm in the McCord settlement about half way between Emory and Alba and is said to have been caused by a former disagreement. Mr. McCord has lived in that neighborhood the past twenty-five or thirty years and is widely known in the county. Mr. Holt had only lived in the county a few years and is not very well known. Holt waived examining trial and his bond was set at $7,500 which he has not made up to this time of this paper going to press. Mr. McCord's remains were laid to rest in the McCord cemetery in the same neighborhood where the tragedy occurred in the presence of a large congregation of relatives and friends, Rev. J.I. Weatherby of this city conducting the funeral services. He is survived by two brothers, "Kinch" McCord of Stamford and "Dutch" McCord of Cisco and one sister, Miss Duck McCord of Dallas all of whom were here to attend the funeral.

July 13, 1923

Holt Given Ten Years for Killing McCord
The Holt murder trial has occupied the first three days of the week, the prosecution being represented by District Attorney James McClyde Sweeton of Greenville and Judge O.H. Rodes of Emory and the defense by Mr. W.W. Berzett of this city. The defendant was charged with the murder of W.R. (Billie) McCord last March. The killing took place on Mr. McCord's farm, which was occupied by Mr. Holt. Mr. Holt's counsel pleaded self-defense in the trial. The jury was secured Monday evening, all the testimony was submitted Tuesday and the attorneys finished their arguments Wednesday morning and the case was given to the jury about 1 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. The jury reached a verdict of guilty about 5 o'clock Wednesday evening, assessing his punishment at ten years in the penitentiary. The trial has attracted considerable interest, the courtroom being practically full all of the times and part of the time standing room was at a premium during the progress of the trial.