The New Prospect Cumberland
Celebrating 135 years of Service to the Lord
Beckville, Panola Co. TX
The New Prospect Presbyterian Cumberland Church was
organized on the second Sunday of August , 1865, by Revered Mitchell Smith and a
congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Carthage. (The Carthage church later
disbanded.) It was founded on the Old Grand Bluff Road. (Also called Shreveport Douglas)
R.A. Craig donated about four acres of land to be divided
equally between the church and cemetery. The first elders were C. S. Hayes, R.A. Craig,
and William E. Roscoe.
The congregation made plans in 1867 to build a new church
and is still on the original site. According to the late Mr. Otto House, one original beam
remains under the existing building. In 1851, it was remodeled and in 1958 an
e3ducaytional building was added.
James Good was employed as superintendent on July 30 1905.
To conduct the first Sunday School of the Church. A majority of the members of the
Cumberland Presbyterian Church joined the Presbyterian Church USA. By 1958, the PCUSA and
the United States of America, New Prospect participated in the change.
On August 8 1965, the church celebrated its centennial
observance. At the time, James P Higginbotham was the pastor.
In 1987, the church body agreed to break with the UPCUSA to
form a non-denominational church to be known as New Prospect Church.
In 1996, a pavilion was erected on the premises by the
jo9int effort of the church and cemetery association. The Beckville Future Farmers donated
the labor for the concrete floor.
A fellowship hall was erected in 1999. It is a 30' x 50'
metal building. By the end of the year, the inside of the Sunday School rooms had been
In 2000, an extension on the pavilion was added.
The church is still enjoying the fellowship of God= love in
services and activities. This workshop has continued from August, 1865 to the year 2001