Hunt County Cemeteries
Transcribed for John W. Duncan
by Gena Forsyth
is located in the city of Wolfe City, Hunt County, Texas, across the highway
(34 south), from the new high school. It’s
located approximately 300 feet west of the road.
There are no marked graves, only 4 sand stone blocks.
The land was own by Hal Mullins of
. The compiler has researched
Four graves are believed to be in this cemetery.
The Hanna family
believe one of the graves is that of Sarah Anna (Rhoades) Hanna, born
September 18th, 1830
, who probably died sometime in 1869
or 1870. She was the daughter of
William H. and Sarah Jane (Fleming) Rhoades and the wife of James F. “Jim”
Hanna. James F. “Jim” Hanna
July 19th, 1830
He came to
, in 1853, and purchased 125 acres of
land, southwest of
, (in the area where
James and Sarah were married
August 3rd, 1856
and had three children.
Washington Jefferson Hanna was born
October 23rd 1857
February 12th 1909
He was called W. W. J. He
married Louisa “Lou” Marilla (Wolfe / Whatley), on
January 10th, 1883
She was the daughter of Lemuel Pinkney Wolfe (the founder of Wolfe’s
Mill and later renamed
). Lou was first married to James H.
January 31st, 1870
He died on
March 27th, 1876
, and is buried in the
. Lou and James Whatley had three
sons: Hampton Pinkney Whatley, born January 26th, 1871 and died
April 21st, 1920, Jimmie Lee B. Whatley, born April 29th,
1871 and died December 30th, 1901 and Robert Henry G. Whatley, born
July 22nd, 1873 and died in 1946.
William Washington Jefferson Hanna was Principal of the
for seven years and was Hunt County
School Superintendent from 1898 till 1904. Mr. Hanna and Lou had four
children, they were: Anna Katherine Hanna, born July 29th, 1884 and
died April 17th, 1970, Jennie Hanna, born in 1886 and died in 1893,
Royston F. Hanna, born March 10th, 1889 and died in July, 1934 and
William Wolfe “Bill” Hanna, born October 15th, 1892 and died in
1962 and was the husband of Mildred (King) Hanna. (II) John Hanna was a
. (Date of his birth and death are
not available) (III) Sarah A. Hanna, married and moved to Rusk,
. (Birth and death dates are not
F, Hanna died July 2nd, 1898, and is buried in Mount Carmel
Cemetery, near Wolfe City, beside his 2nd wife, Mary J. (born
November 29th, 1839, and died February 6th, 1920), and
their daughter Viola, (born April 27th, 1875 and died July 4th,
is located, was purchased, in 1909,
from the William Washington Jefferson Hanna family.
The street in front of the park is
, named for the family.
measures nine feet by ten feet and
is surrounded by a barbed wire fence. There is no accessibility.