Porter Springs Cemetery
Houston Co. Cemeteries of TX
Information and Photo submitted by June Cook
Texas Historical Commission - 1995
Porter Springs Community and Cemetery
Several Republic of Texas Land Grants were acquired in this area
during the 1830's. Elisha Clapp's burial in a nearby cemetery (1mi.SE) in
1856 and other census records indicate area settlement in the 1850's.
The community was originally called Porter's Springs for earlier settler
James M. Porter and naturally occurring area Springs. In 1862 Gould's
Confederate Battalion was organized here. A school was opened in 1870
and in 1875 a Post Office was established. The towns name was changed
to Porter Springs in 1895.
Porter Springs, which contained a Brick Factory, Cotton Gin, several
Churches, Doctors, and School System until 1965. Established a
Community Center in 1978. Today its residents, many of whom are
descendants of early area settlers, primarily engage in farm and
This cemetery, originally known as White Cemetery, was established as a
family Graveyard on land acquired by William H. White in 1838. The first
recorded burial was that of White's Son, James D., in 1863. White' s heirs
deeded 2.41 acres here to the local Methodist and Baptist Churches in 1899 and
it became known as Porter Springs Cemetery. The Cemetery is maintained by
an Association established in 1941. It has been enlarged over the years
and continues to serve the community.