HICKEY CEMETERY, est. 1846
Hill Co. Cemeteries of TX
Photos & Submitted by Carolyn DeLeon
view 1 view 2 view 3
The "Hickey Cemetery" was once a part of the Granville Lewis Hickey farm and was donated by him for a burial ground. In later years more land has been purchased and added to the original plot of ground. It is considered one of the prettiest and best kept country cemeteries in Hill County.
Granville and his wife, Elizabeth Weaver, first bought land in the "J.G. Boils Survey" in Hill County, Texas in 1856, then again in 1874. The Old Hickey homestead stood first north of the present Ball home and was located in and surrounded by a grove of beautiful oak trees and was known as "Hickey Grove". Many revival meetings were held under brush arbors in this grove.
He established on the south line of his property the "Hickey Graveyard". He sold two hundred sixty acres of this land to A.L. Lowrey in 1886. The deed is dated 22 july and recorded in Vol. 15, page 141 Hill County deed of records. One acre was excepted and saved from this sale, known as Hickey Graveyard.
Directions to the cemetery: From Hillsboro take Hwy. 22 toward Whitney. At HCR 2421 east, drive 1 3/10 mile to Union Bluff Community Center. Turn left onto HCR 2431. Go 9/10 mile and turn right onto HCR 2436. Continue for 1 1/10 mile and you will find the cemetery on the left.
The attached information was recorded on Dec. 28, 2002 by Peggy Hickey McCreary, Barbara Hickey Shockey, Carolyn Hickey DeLeon and Angela DeLeon. The information has been checked and double checked for accuracy. There are many graves that are only marked with simple stones.