History of the Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery
Hidalgo Co Cemeteries of TX
Submitted by Frances Isbell
The Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, the only Lutheran Cemetery in the Valley, is located in the northwest part of the City of Mercedes, Texas. it is situated in the midst of a grove o ebony trees in the southeast corner of Lot 16, Block 103 in the Campacuas Addition to the Capisallo District of the Llano Grande Grant.
The approximately three and one third acres on which the cemetery is located was given to the German Evangelical Lutheran Church (known today as the Immanuel Lutheran Church), Mercedes, Texas by the American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company.
A Mistake was made when the deed was prepared and the property was deeded to the Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church, another Lutheran Church located in Mercedes at that time. (Deed recorded March 7, 1914, Deed Records, Hidalgo County, Texas, Volume 3B Pages 463-464.
Realizing that an error had been made and that the land "was intended for another branch of said church instead of this branch" William Drewes and Henry Kruse, Trustees of the Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church, transferred the property to J. Geo. Birkman, C. A. Carlson and Wm. Buchholz, Trustees of the German evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church. (Deed recorded August 4 1914, Deed Records, Hidalgo Co. TX Volume 44 Page 103.
In 1913, the Rev. M.W. Pott, pastor of the German Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church at that time, dedicated the cemetery as "God's Acre"
Today there are approximately one hundred
and ten persons buried in the cemetery. The earliest recorded death on a tombstone
is that of Wilhelm Schumacher 1911.
To reach the cemetery, one should go north on Vermont Street past the Retama Housing Center. Turn left on Vermont onto Anacuitas Street (mile 7 north) and go west approximately one-half mile. Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Cemetery and the Cementerio Bautista are located on the left and the Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery on the right.
The cemetery is maintained by the Immanuel Lutheran Church, Mercedes, Texas. Mr. . and Mrs.. Robert Eilers serve as the cemetery committee.
Compiles in July 1986
A TEXAS HISTORICAL MARKER FOR IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CEMETERY, MERCEDES, TEXAS, WAS DEDICATED FEBRUARY 9, 1989