Santa Fe Ranch Cemetery
Hidalgo Co. Cemeteries of Tx
Submitted by Frances Isbell
With Permission of Hidalgo Co. Historical Commission (2005)
This is a single grave site
LOCATION Santa Fe (Holy Faith) Ranch is located in three South Texas counties: Hidalgo, Brooks and Kenedy. Ranch headquarters is on the west side of US 281, 10-12 miles south of Linn. There is a single grave site near ranch headquarters. [Another cemetery is located on that part of Sante Fe Ranch in Brooks County.]
HISTORY: Originally part of the vast King Ranch, Santa Fe Ranch is owned by the children of Mrs. Evelyn Kuenstler East and the late Tom T. East Jr. Owners Mike East, Alice G.K.K. East and Lica [pronounced LISA] Elena East are fourth generation descendants of pioneer Texas cattleman and steamboater Captain Richard King (1824-1885) and Henrietta M. Chamberlain King(1833-1925).
In 1956, East Brothers Cattle Company, then operated by Mrs. Tom T. East, Sr (nee Alice Kleberg) and children Tom T. Jr, Robert and Alice Hattie East, traded stock in the King Ranch for Santa Fe Ranch. After Tom T. East , Jr died in 1984, Santa Fe Ranch was divided. The 40,000 acres owned by Robert East are part of East Brothers. Ninety-six thousand acres remained in the Tom T East Jr family and his widow and children operate the Santa Fe East Cattle Company.
There is a single fenced grave near the ranch headquarters, that of ranch owner
TOM T(IMMONS) East Jr. January 6, 1917-December 8, 1984.