Hidalgo Co. Cemeteries of Tx
Submitted by Hidalgo County Historical Commission
With Permission of Hidalgo Co. Historical Commission (2005)
To Search : Edit, Find, type in name, click on Find next
LOCATION; Northeast Edinburg, 1/8 mile east of the Expressway on Schunior Street (FM 2128) at 23d Street. Office at 122 W. Samano St.
HISTORY: When Chapin (original name of Edinburg) was founded in 1909, the closest cemetery was on the ranch of Patricio Gonzalez, 1.5 miles north of Schunior Street on Doolittle Road. In 1913, city townsite owners John Closner and William Sprague donated five acres out of Lot 15 (measuring 40 acres) in Section 246 of the Texas-Mexico Railroad Survey for the Edinburg Cemetery.
Trustees were James H. Edwards, Washington B. Barton, and Plutarco de la Viņa. They laid out burial plots and set aside some land for the county. On Oct 14, 1916, the original five acres was granted to the Brushwood Cemetery Association, and in 1931 Brushwood Cemetery was donated to the city of Edinburg.
In the meantime, additional adjacent acreage was acquired in Lot 15, and Hillcrest Memorial Park was organized in 1928. In 2006, Hillcrest Memorial Park is a perpetual care, non-denominational, landscaped cemetery. Present size is about 24 acres, some yet to be developed.
Information from Obit provided by Tobie Neller
|Last Name||First Name||Birth||Death||Comment|
|Fuentes||Juan||Dec 27,1878||Dec 6, 1956||Texas State file # 65717 B: in Roma, TX D: Edinburg Tx Cerebral Hemorrhage -Son of Geronimo Fuentes and Eulogia De La Cruz (info by Jodi Friedman)|
|Fuentes||Valencia S.||May 21, 1880||March 20, 1952||Texas State file # 12948 B: Rio Grand City, TX D: Edinburg, TX Acute Hepatitis - Wife of Juan Fuentes-Daughter of Gregorio Salinas and Susana Henojosa (info by Jodi Friedman)|
|Linton||Robert||1921||Jun 09 1951||age 30 h/o Juanita, auto accident|
|Linton||Claude Ray||1914||Jun 08 1951||age 37 auto accident|
|Linton||Juanita Reyes||1921||Jun 14 1951||w/o Robert Linton auto accident|