Hidalgo Co Cemeteries of TX
Submitted by Hidalgo County Historical Commission
With permission of Hidalgo County Historical Commission
Location: Immediately east of and adjacent to Hillcrest Memorial Cemetery, Edinburg, on Schunior Street ¼ mile east of Expressway.
Surveyed: Maria Leach, 2005 (Pending).
History: Brushwood Cemetery was established as a municipal burial ground for the town of Chapin (now Edinburg) in 1913, five years after the town was founded. Earliest known burial is that of Antonia Hernandez de Ramos, who died in 1913. Older graves dating to 1898 were relocated here from El Granjeno Cemetery near the town of Mission. More than 1,000 graves are located here. Tombstones bear Anglo, Spanish, German and Irish surnames and document the diversity of people who helped build Edinburg and other communities in the vicinity. A notable burial is that of Civil War veteran (Union) and first Hidalgo County Superintendent of Schools Richard Alvis Marsh (1845-1917). ….Texas Historical Markers 1993 for the cemetery and for Richard Marsh..