Hidalgo Co. Cemeteries of Tx
Submitted by Frances Isbell
With Permission of Hidalgo Co. Historical Commission (2005)
To Search : Edit, Find, type in name, click on Find next
Southeastern Hidalgo County below Mercedes.
From US Highway 281 at Mercedes Main Canal
headgates, turn west on Rancho Toluca Road approximatly.6 mile. Then turn south about 500 feet on dirt lAne to cemetery.
Ray Hunt, Joe Fallin, Edward Miner and Dale Swartzmiller on February 7,
1976, for McAllen Genealogical Society.
Relampago (Lightning) Ranch was founded in 1852 by Thaddeus Rhodes and
Jose Maria Mora. Rhodes, son of
the US Consul to the Republic of Texas, came to Brownsville in 1846 with Gen.
Zachary Taylorís troops. When
Hidalgo County was organized in 1852, Rhodes was appointed County Clerk.
He bought 3,188 acres out of old Rosario Ranch.
In 1865, he raised a troop of cavalry for the Confederacy.
He held the powerful position of justice of the peace for ten years,
then served as county judge from 1876-1890.
In 1902, he sold 2,655 acres to an irrigation company; the rest of his
property has passed into commercial farms.
Jose Maria Mora operated a general mercantile store and ranched. He received goods at the steamboat landing in front of his
property. His granddaughter
Carmen Mora and husband Eddie Villarreal still farm 50 acres at Relampago.
With neighbors, they maintain the cemetery donated by Amelia Rhodes. Texas Historical marker 1980.
RECORD; DAU OF DELFINO & GERTRUDIS VASQUEZ