Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery
Hidalgo Co. Cemeteries of Tx
Submitted by Frances Isbell
With Permission of Hidalgo Co. Historical Commission (2005)
To Search : Edit, Find, type in name, click on Find next
LOCATION: Northeast Mercedes on Anacahuitas Street, just south of Mile Seven North and west of Mile One West Drive north two blocks past Expressway 83 on Vermont Street, turn west for .5 mile.
Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery Association, 2005.
Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery was founded in 1910 on four acres donated to
the Diocese of Corpus Christi by the Capisallo Town & Improvement Company, which developed the new town of
located is the Peter Keralum monument, a life-size Calvary Group.
Erected in memory of the
Valley’s beloved lost missionary, Father Peter Keralum (1817-1872), it was
donated by his fellow Oblate priests of Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Belgium
and Holland in 1920. Keralum, who
regularly visited 120 nearby ranches on horseback for forty years, lost his
way in the brush. His remains,
discovered in 1882, were later moved from Brownsville to the monument.
In 1952, they were transferred to the Oblate Cemetery at San Antonio.
cemetery is maintained by Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery Association, organized in
1992 with consent of the Diocese of Brownsville. The Cemetery Association began a cleanup campaign in 1994.
Many volunteer citizens, businesses, the City of Mercedes and the Judge
Homer Salinas Rehabilitation Center in Edinburg worked to remove brush and
trash, trim trees, and grade and improve roads, to bring the grounds to their
present neat and orderly appearance.
are about 3,000 graves. During
the past 95 years, the cemetery has been the resting place for many Mercedes
pioneers and continues to serve. Texas
Historical Marker 2001.