LA RETAMA CEMETERY2
Hidalgo Co. Cemeteries of Tx
Submitted by Frances Isbell
With Permission of Hidalgo Co. Historical Commission (2005)
To Search : Edit, Find, type in name, click on Find next
Central Hidalgo County, about
4 miles west of Faysville and 5 miles north of Edinburg. From US 281, drive
3.4 miles west on Monte Christo Road. Turn
north on caliche Big Five or Greenvillage Road for 4.1 miles.
Turn left onto private road and drive .1 mile. Cemetery is in middle of
grassy field. Watch for rattlesnakes. For
access and guide, call Bill Burns, 956-631-5423.
May 23 1987 by George Gause, Virginia Haynie, David and Carmen Bazan,
Penny Scoggins, Goldsby Goza and Fran Isbell.
Cemetery 80x80’ had been grazed by cattle.
In spite of its inaccessibility, there were fresh flowers on some
graves. In 1987 Bill Burns fenced
La Retama Ranch is in San Salvador del Tule Land Grant to Juan Jose
Balli in 1798. Macedonio Vela of Laguna Seca Ranch acquired the property in
the late 19th century. About
1913, when Laguna Seca holdings were dispersed, Macedonio’s daughter Eloisa
(Mrs. William S. Dougherty) 1872-1954 received La Retama, with adjacent 2400
acre Brasil and La Cucharilla Ranches. She
made her home at Jardin de Flores Ranch in Mission.
In 1924, La Retama was subdivided by
land developers into Retama Groves and in 1927, Lull Townsite.
In the 1940s, Western Cattle Company acquired La Retama and raised
cattle, and peanuts for fodder. The
ranchhouse and all buildings were painted green, hence the name Green Camp or
Rancho Verde. About eight families lived there.
In 1987 Bill Burns of McAllen purchased 8,000 acres out of Monte
Christo and La Retama Ranches. The
southern part of old Retama Ranch along Monte Christo Road and including the
ghost town of Lull is now part of the City of Edinburg.
The cemetery was established for ranch workers.