Cementerio de la Paz (Peace Cemetery)
Hidalgo Co. Cemeteries of Tx
Submitted by Frances Isbell
With Permission of Hidalgo Co. Historical Commission (2005)
To Search : Edit, Find, type in name, click on Find next
Also known as Cementerio de la Paz (Peace Cemetery)
LOCATION: At south edge of Hargill on FM 493 and Cemetery Road.
HISTORY: The Hargill area was part of 60,000 acres laid out by the Missouri-Texas Land and Irrigation Company in 1912. They sold plots of land to homeseekers. In the 1920s, developers W. A. Harding and Lamar S. Gill of Raymondville purchased the property and laid out the townsite of Hargill. The Filigonia postoffice (est. 1915) was renamed Hargill in 1924.
Hargill, established in 1926, and named for the developers, is intersected by Roads FM 490 and 493, 25 miles northeast of McAllen. In 1928 a railroad station was established there on the SLB&M Railway branch between Raymondville and Edinburg.
In 1932 developer S. Lamar Gill donated Block 128 (3.81 acres) in the townsite as a public burying ground for citizens of Hargill (Hidalgo County Warranty Deed 8593, Vol 434, p300, 29 Sep 1937), appointing four trustees. The present four-member Hargill Cemetery Committee of Ray McClaugherty, Mrs. Juanita Lopez, Philip Linton and Miqueas Luna has published policies and procedures, and oversees operations.
The cemetery is shaded by mature ebony trees. Maintenance is provided by volunteers.