Melrose, Goliad Co. Cemeteries 0f TX
Submitted by Judy Turner
Abandoned Cemetery off FM 1726
This cemetery is located on property presently owned by John Pritty. Mr. Berthold Koenig, who was raised on the farm of his father, Andreas Koenig, which ajoins this property, stated that at one time it was a very large cemetery covering about 2 acres. These are the only stones left...
Billingsley, H.M. May 13, 1878 Oct 8, 1879
Dorsey, John H. Nov 1, 1840 Sep 14, 1892
Fifer, Jacob Apr 3, 1800 Aug 3, 1884
Gibson, Katie Oct 15, 1881 May 8, 1882
Middleton, Joh. A Feb 6, 1841 Jan 8, 1876
Riggs, infant son Born and Died Jan 8, 1866
Riggs, George T. Aged 2 months May 1867
Riggs, infant son Born and Died Jan 21, 1870
From entries found in a family Bible, Columbus Sawyer and Mary (Culp) Sawyer are also buried here. Columbus Sawyer served with the Active Militia in Prec. 4 under Capt. A.M. Hughes in 1861. He was in the mercantile business and a school teacher at either Middleton or Buzzard’s Roost (Melrose). John H. Dorsey’s first wife, Sarah Bottom, and their children: Elizabeth who married Alizah Farris and Eugene who married Mattie Ellen McDonald; his second wife Eula Ann Heard, daughter of Joel H and Lucinda Jones Heard, married Nov 8, 1882 in Goliad; Jacob Fifer, born in Illinois was a surveyor; Eliza Horton, mother of R. J. Horton, postmaster at Charco and Weesatche died Dec 24, 1881 are also buried here.