Oak Island Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

Teague, Freestone Co. TX

6 mi. west of Teague on US 84, then about .3 mi. north on CR 925, west .2 mi. on CR 924 to cemetery

Historical Marker:

First church organized in what was to become Freestone County. Started Sept. 11, 1847, by five charter members: Mrs. Mary Archibald, Samuel N. Archibald, Thos. W. Archibald, Eloisa Patton and Mrs. Mary S. Patton, whose husband donated land for church. The Rev. John Limber presided. By 1873 had 102 members and 88 children in Sunday School, but congregation declined after railroad came through Mexia in 1870s, causing many people to move there. Discontinued in 1899. Many area pioneers are buried in church cemetery. 1972