Cade Cemetery

Streetman, Freestone Co. TX

On FM 246, 1 mi. west of IH-45, 2 mi. west of Streetman (looks like it's in Navarro Co.)

Historical Marker

This burial ground originally served the pioneer Cade community, which was established near this site in the 1870s. Named for Cade Hayes, an early area resident, the settlement included the surrounding farmland of southern Navarro County and northern Freestone County. The cemetery was first used in 1876 when a Mrs. Nelson, the widowed sister of Cade settler Andrew Smith, was buried here. Ansel Coleman (d. 1883) and his wife Alice (d. 1910), who are interred here, deeded the property to trustees of the local Missionary Baptist Church in 1883 for the establishment of the burial ground and for the construction of a church building and a Masonic Hall. The earliest marked grave is that of John Watson (b. 1882), who died in 1884. Cade began to decline in population in the early 1900s when construction of a Trinity and Brazos rail line bypassed the area. After the church closed in 1932 the burial ground was neglected until a group of local women formed a cemetery association in 1947. An early project of the organization was the addition of a frame chapel for the site. Reorganized in 1966, the association holds an annual luncheon and business meeting the first Sunday of each June.