Hodge's Bend Cemetery is located on the bank of White Lake and Old Richmond Road opposite Pheasant Creek subdivision, Sugar Land, Fort Bend County, Texas. The Texas State Historical Commission installed a marker here in 1975. The following information was transcribed from the marker and headstones by myself.
Hodge's Bend Cemetery
Fort Bend County, Cemeteries of TX
A veteran of "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion's South Carolina Bridge during the American Revolution, Alexander Hodge (b.1760) brought his family to Texas in 1825. Hodge was prominent among the "Old Three Hundred" settlers. His sons fought in the Texas Revolution. His 1828 land grant from Stephen F. Austin, named Hodge's Bend, including the site for this cemetery. The first grave here was that of his wife Ruth, who died in 1831. Hodge was buried here in 1836. The cemetery contains about seventy graves, including those of Hodge's descendants and other early settlers in the area. The last burial here was in 1942.
Two plaques on the gate read:
Donors to Cemetery Restoration
Mrs. Wayne C. Brown
Mrs. Erna Gros
Mrs. Margaret Randell Mrs. Solon P. Crain
Mr. & Mrs. Regan Voss Mrs. Emma McLaughlin
Mr. & Mrs. Leon Alexander James L. Boone
Paul & Lucille Schumann Fort Bend Chapter, DAR
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Schumann
This entrance gate was presented by TS DAR marking the burial place of Revolutionary soldier Alexander Hodge and his wife, Ruth, ancestor of Marguerite Starr Crain, Chapter member.
(All the Fields headstones are inside a
fenced enclosure with a gate.
There appears to be at least six graves.)
The following was a cube shape stone with names on all four sides.
Hodge's Bend Cemetery is located near the green pin on the map of Sugar Land locality. From Sugar Land, drive north on Texas Six, pass the entrance to Cullinan Park and turn left at the first traffic light, Voss Road, then turn left on Old Richmond. Turn left at the stop sign, go three tenths mile and it will be on your left opposite the convenience store.