Chinn's Chapel Cemetery
Copper Canyon, Denton Co. Cemeteries of TX
by Betty Finley
Chapel Cemetery is located in the southeastern quadrant of Denton County, Texas
(Figure 1). A specific location is
one mile north of the intersection of Chinn Chapel Road and Farm-To-Market Road
cemetery was begun after Texas won her independence from Mexico in 1836.
With the new status, immigrants were encouraged, necessary, and welcomed
if the vast area was to develop into a viable republic.
In 1842 the first settlement, in what is now Denton County, was
established in the extreme southeastern portion, named Hebron.
Immigrants continued their migration into north central Texas and, by
1858 two thousand lived on land grants to the Peters Colony.
Chinn's Chapel was the fifth settlement established in 1845, the year
Texas was admitted into the Union as the twenty-eighth state.
the growth of the community, a building was necessary to serve as a meeting
place. In 1858, a building was
erected in a day and a half from oak logs cut and hewn by men of the community
from the Cross Timbers. Earlier, it
had been suggested that each family using the nearby Lockhart Springs be
responsible for bringing a log to the site in order that the building could be
built. The building (figure 2),
which stands today in the southeastern quadrant of the cemetery, was used at
various times for a meeting hall, school, Methodist Church, and a haven for
several weeks to newly-arrived settlers while their houses were being
Chinn's Chapel, as well as other frontier settlements, medical technology and
facilities were primitive, and at best, crude.
Therefore, a cemetery was established at the site of the building and
named in memory of Elisha Chinn and his wife, Mary Chinn, who came to Denton
County in 1853. That maintained
cemetery continues to be used today. A
walk over the grounds and study of early-dated headstones reminds one of a
community's legacy, born in the 1840's, sustained, and endured by the
indefatigable spirit of its hardy pioneers.
of birth Alabama. Son of Abraham
Marshall Bartee (1803, Alabama - 12/31/1875, interred Alabama) and Mary
Elizabeth Axon (Wright) Bartee (1807,
Carolina - Aft. 1871, interred. Roxana, Alabama). Husband of Mary Elizabeth (Dillard) Bartee (1/15/1851,
Alabama - 3/13/1896, interred Chinn's Chapel Cemetery).